We used to be the land of the free, and the home of the brave.
Now? More like land of the police state, and home of the domestic extremist. That’s what happens when enough people don’t care, or are bamboozled.
In a free society:
- Police agencies respond only to evidence of planned and actual criminal activity.
- Police officers keep the peace; they do not investigate citizens and activities unless there is some reason to investigate.
- Police do not investigate citizens’ attitudes toward the central government, only their action.
- Citizen dissent is lawful and police agencies do not investigate citizens’ attitudes toward the criminal justice apparatus.
None of that applies anymore. Now, in the United States, the government may:
- Kill American citizens abroad, or here on US soil, without a trial or judicial review. A secret closed-door meeting is enough to end someone’s life. (Source)
- Intercept and store 1.7 billion of your emails, phone calls and text messages each day, without a warrant. Enough information to fill 138 million books every 24 hours. (Source)
- Charge you with a felony for peacefully protesting. (Source)
- Imprison you for life, without access to a trial or attorney, and can use the US Military to do so. (Source)