On January 18th, New York Assemblyman Steve McLaughlin, one of the few Republicans standing up for gun rights with all he’s got, posted the following on his Facebook page:
“Here it is. This is the video where I was asked to keep the Democrat proposals for the NY SAFE Act away from the public. This list was given to me by a colleague and it is not confidential.
This bill was an attack on the 2nd amendment and the Democrats clearly wanted to dismantle the work of the Founding Fathers. None of these amendments were included in the final bill thanks to us fighting back. I will not stand silent while these unpatriotic proposals are pathetically thrown at us a 11 o’clock at night.”
Check out the video for yourself:
What did this bill contain that was going to trample 2nd Amendment rights?
The list of proposals that Democrats would rather you didn’t see:
1. Confiscation of “assault weapons”
2. Confiscation of ten round clips
3. Statewide database for ALL Guns
4. Continue to allow pistol permit holder’s information to be released to the public
5. Label semiautomatic shotguns with more than 5 rounds or pistol grips as “assault weapons”
6. Limit the number of rounds in a magazine to 5 and confiscation and forfeiture of banned magazines
7. Limit possession to no more than two (2) magazines
8. Limit purchase of guns to one gun per person per month
9. Require re-licensing of all pistol permit owners
10. Require renewal of all pistol permits every five years
11. State issued pistol permits
12. Micro-stamping of all guns in New York State
13. Require licensing of all gun ammo dealers
14. Mandatory locking of guns at home
15. Fee for licensing, registering weapons
Each one of these proposals is dangerous and tramples on the Constitution. What happens when you publish permit holders’ addresses? These homes can be the target of crimes, as is evident in a recent burglary that appears to be targeted. Ex-burglars have gone on record saying a “gun-map” would have made their job safer – why not rob a gun-free home to ensure your victims are helpless?
The issues above are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes gun control. These restrictions would cripple the 2nd Amendment and make otherwise law-abiding citizens criminals.
The good news is that none of these propsed requirements were included in the final bill, due to McLaughlin and others standing up for the Constitution and the rights it grants to the American people.